Skip to main content





Student Services Bldg. Mosaic Center, 2nd Floor.
(818) 778-5627
Mon- Thu   8am - 7 pm
Friday         8am - 1pm



Frequently Asked Questions


Can a veteran apply for financial aid?


How can I check on the status of my pending claim? can I check status online? 

You can use the eBenefits portal to check the status of your claim online if you are an eBenefits Premium (Level 2) account holder. To determine the status of your pending claim, login to your eBenefits account and select My eBenefits. On the "Compensation" tab, select Compensation & Pension Claims Status to view your claim status. You can also call 1-800-827-1000 and follow the recorded instructions, or you can contact VA and fill out the Ask A Question form. If you are not an eBenefits account holder, you can visit the eBenefits Registration page at for information on how to establish an account.

How long will it take to receive a decision on my compensation claim? 

The length of time it takes to receive a decision depends on several factors, such as the complexity of your disability(ies), the number of disabilities you claim, and the availability of evidence needed to decide your claim. Currently most claims are being processed within six months, but can take longer in complex claims.

How much does VA pay in compensation?

Monthly tax-free benefits vary depending on the type of disability and percent of disability rating.   For 30% or more disability, an additional amount is added for each dependent. Additional amounts are also paid for severe disabilities such as the loss of use of a limb or an organ. For current information about disability compensation payment rates, please go to:

What benefits and services are available for spouses and dependents of deceased veterans?

The Veterans Benefits Administration has created a "survivors" Web site for spouses and dependents of military personnel who died on active duty and for the survivors and dependents of veterans who died after leaving the military. The Web site is organized into two broad categories - death in service and death after service. It provides website visitors with information about a wide range of benefits for the surviving spouse, dependent children, and dependent parents of deceased veterans and active-duty personnel. The site also has information from and provides links to other federal agencies and organizations that offer benefits and services to survivors and dependents. The Web site can be reached by clicking on the Benefits link on the VA home page and then the Survivor benefit link that appears in the dropdown box, or by going to:

Is there a list of veterans service organizations?

A list of veterans service organizations can be found at you can click on any organization listed to get additional information about that organization, including addresses, contact information, etc.

Does VA provide legal services?

The Department of Veterans Affairs does not provide legal services and cannot provide advice about obtaining legal services.