Skip to main content

Focus on Students: Encouraging Help-Seeking Behaviors


Student Support Services:

Faculty can help students succeed by letting them know about the myriad support services available to them at LAVC. These are some of the programs and services available:

LAVC Student Health Center:

The center, located in the Student Union, provides students with medical and psychological services. They offer free health screenings, low-cost flu shots, HIV testing, referrals, and many more services to currently registered students.

At-Risk Students and Behavioral Intervention:

Los Angeles Valley College is pleased to announce the creation of a Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT). Click on the link above for more information on resources to help faculty assist at-risk students.

Transfer Alliance/Honors Program (TAP):

TAP (the Transfer Alliance Program) is an academic honors program that helps first-time college students transfer to four-year colleges and universities that offer them priority consideration for admission. Honors courses are enhanced versions of the original course that emphasize critical reasoning and college-level writing skills. The course must have an approved honors addendum to the course outline.

All honors sections. Every semester, about five sections of honors-only classes are offered to TAP students. These classes are capped at 35 and rotate on a two-year schedule. Students can also take honors-approved courses that are not being offered in a particular semester. A contract outlining the additional course work is filed and approved by the TAP Director. Upon successful completion, it is noted on the student’s transcript that he/she has taken the course as an honors section. TAP students have priority for honors sections when registration opens, but after the first day of class, faculty can, at their discretion, add students who are not currently enrolled in the program but wish to apply.

Why become a TAP instructor? It’s a great program that helps our students transfer to university. And you’ll receive 6.7 hours of flex credit for each TAP class you teach. If you would like to teach an honors class, contact your department chair and/or the TAP Director, Laura Scott, at 818-947-2330 or

Community Services:

The Community Services Program meets the educational, social, economic, recreational, cultural, and civic needs of the people in the local community served by LAVC. They have a new climbing wall you can reserve for birthday parties. Check out the offerings!

LACCD Student Internship Program:

This program connects students to paid internships with firms doing business with the District through the bond construction program.

Student Complaints:

Students sometimes have a complaint about their treatment at the college. The offices of Academic Affairs, Administrative Services, and Student Services have complaint forms on their websites that students can fill out and submit. Students can also file a complaint with the President’s Office in person.

Grade grievances: Sometimes students want to challenge a grade they receive. The first step for a student is to contact his/her instructor to discuss the problem. If the issue is not resolved, or if the student is unable to meet with the instructor, the next step is to contact the department chair. If the issue is not resolved after meeting with the chair, the next step is to meet with the area dean in the Office of Academic Affairs who oversees the department. If no solution is reached, the student may contact the campus the Office of Ombudsperson to discuss the option of filing a formal grade grievance, according to E-55. The Ombudsperson will consider whether a student grievance has merit and can order a hearing. If a hearing is scheduled, you will be asked to appear. Click here to see the steps involved and what you need to do to prepare.

Office of the Ombudsperson:

The Ombudsperson is also a confidential source a faculty member can contact to discuss workplace-related concerns and obtain information and support. If issues cannot be resolved, the Ombudsperson will refer the faculty member to the District Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to file a formal complaint.

District Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:

Contact this office for information about making a complaint of unlawful discrimination or harassment.

Collegiality in the Workplace:

Sometimes faculty experience non-collegial situations that involve other employees at the college. Concerns of this nature should be brought to the attention of the appropriate dean or vice president.