Skip to main content
College Transfer

Transferring to LAVC

Useful links

If you are attending another college or university and wish to transfer to Los Angeles Valley College, please follow the following steps:

  1. Apply for Admission.

  2. Apply for Financial Aid.

    ​You may qualify to receive financial assistance with your college expenses. Financial Aid is available through the federal and/or state government, and through private sources in the form of grants, scholarships, employment, and loans to eligible students. 

  3. Take the Assessment Test. 

    To determine your English and Math course placement, you will need to participate in the assessment process. Your assessment results will enable you to enroll in the appropriate courses and prepare you to fulfill your educational requirements. 

  4. Participate in Orientation. 

    During Orientation, you will learn about the array of services and resources that are available on campus. Questions regarding registration, student support services, academic policies and student education plans are also answered.

  5. Choose an Academic Program and get Counseling.

    ​Choose your program from a number of two-year degrees and certificate programs. Once you have decided on a program meet with a counselor in the Counseling Department every semester to ensure you are on track in meeting your educational goals.

  6. Register and Pay for Classes. 

    • ​​After you have submitted an application for admission, you will receive a registration appointment. You may register online for classes on your appointment date

      • For classes that require prerequisites, contact the Prerequisite Office at (818) 947-2420. If you have met a prerequisite at a school outside of the Los Angeles Community College District, bring a copy of your official transcripts or assessment results to the Admissions & Records Office.

    • Once you have successfully enrolled in your classes, pay for your student fees online or in person by visiting the Business Office. Check the schedule of classes for all refund and drop dates.

  7. Get a Parking Permit and Student ID Card.  

    • A parking permit is required to park in any student lot. You may purchase a permit at the Business Office.

    • A student identification card is required to use many of the resources available on campus. Get your Monarch Card (student ID) at the Admissions & Records Office.

  8. Purchase Your Books

    Once you are enrolled in your classes you can purchase your books at the Monarch Bookstore. A registration receipt (a print-out that lists the classes you have officially enrolled in) from Admissions & Records Office is required to purchase your books.

  9. Attend Your Classes