Skip to main content
College Transfer

Transfer Requirements


Information was compiled in this section to help the many Los Angeles Valley College students who intend to transfer to a four-year college or university. However, since each college or university has its own requirements for admission and for junior standing, students are urged to consult the catalog of the university of their choice if their University has not been included in this section. Catalogs are available in the Career/Transfer Center. Handouts listing the transfer requirements for many majors are available in the Counseling Office. While there are many points of similarity in the transfer requirements at different institutions, students wishing to avoid unnecessary delays in achieving their goals should try to decide before beginning community college work whether they want to transfer to another college after completing their work here, and to which college they plan to transfer at that time.

ASSIST (Articulation System Stimulating Intersegmental Student Transfer) is a computerized student-transfer information system that can be accessed over the World Wide Web. It displays reports of how course credits earned at one California college or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California's colleges and universities and therefore provides the most accurate and up-to-date information available about student transfer in California. ASSIST is available at

CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Transfer Certification Requirements: If you have completed fewer than 56 transferable semester (84 quarter) units, you will qualify for admission if you have a grade point average of 2.0 C or better in all transferable units attempted, are in good standing at the last college or university attended, and meet the admission requirements for first-time freshmen, i.e., you have completed with a grade of C or better each of the courses in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subject requirements and have a qualifiable eligibility index. If you did not complete all the subject requirements in high school, appropriate college courses may be used to make up the missing subjects. Nonresidents must meet the eligibility index for nonresidents.

UC: IGETC Certification Requirements : The IGETC is a pattern of courses that students can use to satisfy lower division general education (GE) requirements at any California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) campus. However, completion of the IGETC is not an admission requirement for the CSU or UC, nor is it the only way to fulfill lower-division GE requirements before transfer. Students should contact a counselor for detailed information. Foreign transcript coursework cannot be used on IGETC except in special circumstances in Area 6; see a counselor for details. Students must petition the Graduation Office for certification of IGETC completion. Every effort has been made to ensure that this information is accurate; however, students should consult an LAVC counselor periodically to determine whether there have been any changes or corrections.