Welcome to STARS
STARS (The Strategic Team for the Advancement and Retention of Students) engages students, faculty, and staff in dialogue about teaching and learning. At STARS workshops and events, we provide strategies for students to be successful in college and offer faculty useful information and handouts they can use in their classes to help students and motivate them to succeed. STARS gives students a chance to hear faculty/staff perspectives while giving faculty/staff insight into the student point of view. Besides offering practical help, our sessions provide inspiration to continue learning.
Fall 2014 STARS events
Six Student Success Factors
The resources below can be used to implement the strategies we started to explore on Opening Day -- the factors that help students succeed in college.
The RP Group's study of 900 students in California community colleges: Student Perspectives Research Report
Six Student Success Factors handout -- For a cardstock copy to post in your office or classroom, call ext. 2712.
Resources we can use to help students succeed:
- Directed: Career/Transfer Center Counseling Career Report assignment Worksheet on goals
- Focused: Academic Resources/Tutoring Motivating the Unmotivated Teaching Unprepared Students
- Nurtured: Study Skills checklist Reading Improvement Tips Reading Strategies for Academic Materials Vocabulary Cards
- Engaged: Interactive Learner-Centered Instruction Strategies for Active Learning 40 Ways to Engage and Motivate Students Flipping the Classroom presentation
- Connected: Top 5 Reasons to Use Office Hours Get Involved in the ASU
- Valued: Making Meaningful Choices 10 Things You Can Do to Improve Race Relations Teaching Resources on Diversity Tolerance and Multiculturalism Sharing Stories Exercise
The STARS Committee, comprised of faculty, staff, and students plans events. Anyone is welcome to join. We meet from 1:00 to 2:00 pm on the first Thursday of each month during the fall and spring semesters in the Faculty/Staff Resource Center (LARC 200). The STARS Committee is a work group that reports to the LAVC Student Success Committee. Click here for more information, agendas, and minutes.