Los Angeles Valley College serves the community as a leader in instructional excellence, facilitating the success of its diverse students, developing critical thinkers and life-long learners, and contributing to the economic and cultural vitality of the San Fernando Valley and beyond.
(Revised October 2008)
Los Angeles Valley College is a comprehensive community college located in the center of the San Fernando Valley. The College serves the community by providing transfer, degree, career-technical, foundational, transitional and continuing education programs in an attractive and accessible learning environment that fosters student success. Embedded in these programs are the greater goals of critical thinking and life-long learning which are necessary for success in the workplace and for advancing one's education, personal development and quality of life.
The Los Angeles Valley College faculty and staff are dedicated to helping students be successful. They emphasize excellence in teaching and providing a variety of support services that are designed to meet students where they are and help them reach their personal and professional goals. Beyond the classroom, the College provides for students a variety of co-curricular activities that serve to create a rich campus life experience.
Los Angeles Valley College advances the economic development of the region through programs, services and partnerships that address continuing and emerging employer needs in a diverse set of industries, including one of the largest concentrations of entertainment studios in the world.
Los Angeles Valley College hosts numerous cultural and athletic events throughout the year and serves as home to the San Fernando Valley Historical Museum.
The campus has a park-like quality, with a rich variety of trees selected by its founding faculty. As a result, the campus itself serves as a laboratory for learning and gives the College a special appreciation for the environment and issues of sustainability.
(Revised October 2008)
The Los Angeles Valley College vision and mission are embodied in the learning goals of our College-wide Student Learning Outcomes which include:
- Communication Skills
- Information Competency
- Historical Perspectives, Diversity, and Cultural Awareness
- Reasoning Skills
- Aesthetic Responsiveness
- Civic Responsibility
- Health and Wellness
- Student Success
- Supportive Environment
- Personal and Institutional Accountability
- Student Centered Learning
- Accessible Quality Programs
- Individuals and Diversity
- Academic Excellence Achievement of Individual And Institutional Goals
- Commitment to Teaching, Scholarship, and Active Learning
- Commitment to Excellence
- Respect for All People
- Alliances with the Community
- Encouragement of Innovation, Experimentation, and Creativity
- Educational Programming: Innovative, quality instruction, evaluate and ensure ongoing alignment with business.
- Student Access and Success: Environment that fosters educational and personal achievement.
- Physical Environment:
- Safe, healthy, aesthetically pleasing physical environment.
- Build and maintain infrastructure, build and maintain tech infrastructure, incorporate beautification.
- Ensure and upgrade state-of-the art facilities and equipment.
- Fiscal Management:
- Use funding to meet college goals.
- Increase reserve.
- Develop grant opportunities.
- Partnerships: Collaborate with business, industry, education, and community organizations.
- College Image
- Tell the LAVC story
- Monarch Pride
- Effective Communication
- Governance Structure: Effective Participation
- Professional Development: Faculty, Staff and Administrators
- Technology: Develop and implement college-wide strategic technology plan.
- Data to develop, implement, and evaluate college actions.
- Plan for today and tomorrow.
College-wide Student Learning Outcomes (PDF)