Construction / Parking Updates
The following construction projects are currently taking place at Los Angeles Valley College. Should there be an emergency, please contact the LAVC Sheriff's Office at (818) 947-2911.
Temporary Closure of the Second, Third, and Top Floors of Parking Structure
December 22, 2014-January 2, 2015
From Monday, December 22-Friday, January 2, the second, third, and top floors of the Parking Structure will be closed for the required removal of some cement materials, which were previously applied on the second floor. The ground level of the structure will remain open at this time. This work will be done from 6 a.m.-3 p.m., in preparation for the coming second floor concrete deck repairs. For more information regarding this project, please contact Oscar Saghieh of BuildLACCD at (818) 756-0950.
Construction Work for the Replacement of Southwest Entry Door at Campus Center
December 19-31, 2014
On Friday, December 19, protection work on the Campus Center southwest entry door (sliding glass doors near Monarch Hall and Reprographics/Master Calendar Offices) will begin. From Monday, December 22-Tuesday, December 30, the demolition and construction of the new door will occur. During this time, access will be through the entry doors on the south side (facing the Humanities Building) and the east side (facing Campus Drive) of Campus Center. A temporary pathway will be designated with delineators at the back of Monarch Hall to provide entry to and from the West door of the building. The protection will be taken down and the door will be re-opened on Wednesday, December 31. Please refer to this site plan for temporary evacuation plans while the door is not accessible, which has been approved by the Fire Department. Work will take place between 6 a.m.-5 p.m. on the days indicated. There will be some construction equipment noise associated with the project. For more information regarding this project, please contact Bruce Johnson of BuildLACCD at (818) 756-0950.
Work to Take Place for the Monarch Center (Student Union) Water Lines Tie-In to Campus Lines
December 18-22, 2014
From Thursday, December 18-Monday, December 22, work related to the Monarch Center construction project (Student Union building) hot, chilled, and domestic water lines tie-in to Campus lines at the tunnel will take place. Work will be done from 6:30 a.m.-3 p.m., unless otherwise stated, according to the schedule as follows:
- December 18 – Campus will shut off the chilled water loop and individual building valves to drain the line. The buildings which will be affected for the chilled line work are the Art, Behavioral Science, Campus Center, and Humanities Buildings.
- December 19 – From approximately 9 a.m.-1 p.m., the campus heated water supply and return lines will be shut off and the Contractor will drain the lines. Start times will vary based on weather conditions and demand of the affected buildings. The Contractor will begin installing valves on the heated water supply and return as soon as the line is drained, which will take about six hours. Upon completion, the line will be filled and hot water service will be restored around 6 p.m. The following buildings will have no heating from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.: Behavioral Sciences, Humanities, Engineering, and the South Gym.
- December 20 – Chilled water line will be completed and service will be restored around noon.
- December 22 – Starting at 6 a.m., the campus will turn off valves to isolate domestic water tie-in. Work for the domestic water line will be completed around 3 p.m. and water service will be restored. Only the Art Building will be affected.
For more information regarding this project, please contact Oscar Saghieh of BuildLACCD at (818) 756-0950.
Work Related to the Monarch Center (Student Union) Gas Line to Commence
December 11-18, 2014
On Thursday, December 11, work related to the Monarch Center construction project (Student Union building) gas line tie-in to the campus will start and will continue until Thursday, December 18. From Monday, December 15-Thursday, December 18, the path of travel leading to Campus Center from the north side of campus will be re-routed. Signage will be posted as shown on this map. The following is the work schedule for the construction activity:
- December 11 – Tape off the red area shown on this map and scan North Mall with ground penetrating radar for utilities. Contractor will locate the tie-in point and begin trenching the gas line in the North Mall toward the Monarch Center/Student Union.
- December 12 – Continue trenching the gas line in the North Mall towards the Monarch Center/Student Union.
- December 15 –Tape off the green area on the map and saw cut the concrete where the gas line will be dug. Path of travel will be re-routed as shown and signs will be posted. Continue throughout the day trenching in the North Mall and begin trenching across the concrete towards the Monarch Center/Student Union and onto the site.
- December 16 – Complete trenching of the gas line to the Monarch Center/Student Union tie-in point.
- December 17, 18 – Install gas pipe, work on final tie-in to the existing 4 inch line on campus and completion by the end of the day on December 18, 2014.
Work will take place each day between 6:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. For more information regarding this project, please contact Oscar Saghieh of BuildLACCD at (818) 756-0950.
Construction Activity to Commence for the Valley College Gateway Building
October 22, 2014-March 16, 2016
Beginning Wednesday, October 22, site clearance, demolition, and other construction activities is scheduled to begin for the new Valley Glen Gateway Project (Valley College Gateway Building). The initial construction activities of demolition and site clearance involve construction equipment which will cause a noticeable noise impact for the first few weeks. The buildings most affected by the noise and construction impacts will be the Foreign Language Building, Humanities Building, and the Library and Academic Resource Center. The work will take place from 6 a.m.-4 p.m., until the estimated completion date on March 16, 2016. For more information regarding this project, please contact Bruce Johnson of BuildLACCD at (818) 756-0950.
Closing of Selected Parking Areas and Limited Pedestrian Access Due to Installation of Construction Fencing Around Athletic Training Facility Project
October 13, 2014-December 31, 2015
On Monday, October 13, 2014, Clark Construction will be installing the project fencing around the Athletic Training Facility project limits, as shown in this fencing plan. The following areas will be closed off due to construction: Parking Lots G and F, the baseball and football practice fields, and the area north of the ticket office and concession stand; portions of Parking Lots L and M will also be closed during construction. The baseball restrooms will also be unavailable at this time. Some pedestrian access will be affected; please see the map for detour options. Work will take place between the hours of 7 a.m.-5 p.m.; the estimated completion date for the project is December 31, 2015. There will be noise and dust associated with the project. Contractor lay down areas and parking will be within project limits. For more information regarding this project, please contact Robert Tellez of BuildLACCD at (818) 756-0950.
Closure of Entrance to College Road South Parking Lot Due to Completion of Construction Fencing Around the Administration Building
October 3, 2014-March 23, 2016
Starting Friday, October 3, Pankow will be completing the erection of the construction fence around the Administration Building to make way for the commencement of the Valley College Gateway Building construction. As a result, the parking lot at College Road South will be closed to vehicular traffic and pedestrians from the roundabout at the College's Fulton Avenue Main Entrance to the Student Services Center. Please refer to this site logistics plan for details. The area within the site will become a construction site with construction of temporary power beginning on Monday, October 6. The estimated completion date for the Valley Glen Gateway project is March 23, 2016. For more information regarding this project, please contact Bruce Johnson of BuildLACCD at (818) 756-0950.
Partial Shutdown of Campus Drive to Commence Construction of New Student Union Building
November 14, 2013 – March 1, 2015
Beginning on Thursday, November 14, construction for the new Student Union (a.k.a. the Monarch Center project) will begin and will permanently shut down Campus Drive between Emelita and Hatteras Street. The estimated completion date for this construction work is March 1, 2015. The orange area in this illustration shows the fencing and construction zones for the Monarch Center project. As shown, the location for this project will be the area that currently houses the Cafeteria Building, Campus Drive, and the walkways adjacent to the cafeteria building. The work for this project will take place between 6 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. The corner of Hatteras and Campus Drive will serve as the contractor lay down area. For more information regarding this project, please contact Robert Tellez of BuildLACCD at (818) 756-0950.
Parking Lot E and Part of Parking Lot L Closed Due to Construction of the New Community Services Center
April 15, 2013 – January, 2015
Construction activities for the new Community Services Center will commence on April 15, 2013; the building construction is anticipated to be completed by the end of January 2015. During construction, Parking Lot E and part of Parking Lot L will be closed, and vehicle and pedestrian access around the project area will be limited. There will also be noise, dust, and smoke from construction equipment associated with this project. Fencing will be installed as shown in this illustration. The contractor lay-down area will be within the construction site. All work on this project will be done on Monday-Friday between the hours of 7 a.m. - 4 p.m. For more information regarding the Community Services Center project, contact Mike Pope of BuildLACCD at (818) 756-0950.