ENGINEERING CAREER WORKSHOP!!
• Introduction to Engineering Careers
• Career Exploration within
• Top Engineering Occupations
• Current Engineering job trends
When: Thursday April 27th, 2017
Where: ACA 2506
Click Here to Register!
For additional info, questions or accomodations, contact:
Los Angeles Valley College
Promoting Awareness of STEM Opportunities (PASO)
Title III HSI STEM and Articulation Grant
Los Angeles Valley College was awarded a Title III HSI STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) and Articulation Grant from the U.S. Department of Education, for a total of $ 6 million over five years (October 1, 2016 to September 30, 2021). The purpose of the Hispanic-Serving Institutions - Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (HSI STEM) and Articulation Programs is to: (1) increase the number of Hispanic and other low-income students attaining degrees in the fields of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics; and (2) to develop model transfer and articulation agreements between two-year and four-year institutions in such fields. Funds may be used for: improving academic quality of STEM programs through curriculum revision and development, or faculty development; developing research opportunities for students in STEM fields; providing or improving services including tutoring, mentoring or establishing learning communities; encouraging secondary students to pursue STEM degrees and careers through outreach activities; and improving STEM facilities and equipment needed for science instruction and computer laboratories.
LAVC PASO project is designed to promote STEM awareness in the college and surrounding community of San Fernando Valley, attracting more Latino and low-income students to enroll in LAVC, encourage completion of STEM certificates and degrees, retain students in STEM fields, produce more community college STEM transfers to four-year institutions and ultimately increase the number of Latino and low-income students attaining STEM baccalaureates.
To accomplish these goals, LAVC PASO grant includes the following activities:
- Proactive and Intrusive STEM Academic Advising and Peer Mentoring
- Curricular infusion of instructional technology, Supplemental Instruction, collaborative learning, and STEM advising across all redesign courses (Chemistry and Physics)
- Strengthen STEM Pathway
- Development of model articulation/transfer agreements with LAVC’s primary transfer institutions, California State University Northridge (CSUN) and California State University Los Angeles (CSULA); development of transfer resources and course-embedded STEM advising
- Annual Summer STEM Investigations Camp
- Comprehensive STEM Faculty Professional Development