Skip to main content

Transfer Student Applicants

International Students

Student Services Center (SSC) 1st Floor

Mon - Thu: 8am - 4:30pm
Friday: 8am - 1pm

International Student Info Sheet_fillableLos Angeles Valley College (LAVC) is authorized by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to issue I-20s (Certificates of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status).

Step 1 – Application Process

International Students will be considered for admission to LAVC if all of the following requirements are met:


  • All students must be 18 years of age or older to be eligible to apply.
  • Admission Application - Apply On-line by the due date. It is imperative that all questions are answered correctly. Note: The on-line application contains questions about your visa status under the area "Visa and Dependent Information." If you have an F-1 Visa, please enter the information as stated on your visa. If you do not have an F-1 Visa yet, choose "F-1 Visa" under current visa type and enter 08/01/2017 as the visa issue date and check the "no expiration date" box.
  • One Passport size photograph
  • Student Information – Must be fully completed and signed. Make sure your chosen major is offered by LAVC. See Major and Code List
  • Application Processing Fee – There is a non-refundable application fee of $50 to be paid online with credit or debit card. 
  • Confidential Financial Statement- Complete a confidential financial statement . The total amount must reflect the required annual fees.
  • Passport and Visa Information - Provide copies of your passport, visa and I-94
  • English Language Requirement – Student must have full English language proficiency. The following methods may be used to show proficiency:
    • Original academic transcripts showing six semesters of secondary (high school) English or above, or
    • Original TOEFL score of 45 IBT, 133 CBT or 450 PBT, or
    • IELTS score of 4
  • Academic Records – Provide notarized copies of your High School (Secondary School) diploma and transcripts if they are in English. If your High School diploma and transcripts are not in English, you must submit translated and notarized copies as well as the copies from the original documents. Do not send your original documents to us. 
  • Current I-20 - Submit a copy of all the I-20s issued by your current institution.
  • Student Status Verification Form - Submit a student status verification form filled out by the International Student Advisor at your current institution.
  • Transcripts: Provide official transcripts from ALL previous U.S. schools attended.  2.0 G.P.A. or higher is required.  Request your transcripts to be mailed at the address below since hand-in transcripts are not accepted and/or considered official.
Los Angeles Valley College
International Students Office
5800 Fulton Avenue 
Valley Glen, CA 91401-4096

 To prevent delays in processing your application, download the Application Checklist and Deadline to ensure your application is complete.

Step 2 - Check In

You are required to be in the U.S 30 days prior to the start of the semester to participate in International Students Welcome Week.

Step 3 – Assessment and Orientation

International students are required to assess prior to attending orientation. Assessment will help you determine your math and English levels and help you enroll in appropriate level courses.  Orientation will ease your transition to LAVC and familiarize you with our policies and procedures. During orientation you will review you assessment scores, plan your classes for the upcoming semester and make sure you know what is required of you to maintain your F-1 student status at Los Angeles Valley College.

After your orientation you are required to meet with a counselor once a semester to ensure you are enrolled in the appropriate courses, that you are “in-status” and making satisfactory academic progress.

Step 4 – Enrolling in Classes

You may register online at your pre-appointed registration time.

You can enroll online at:

If you do not know when you are supposed to register, you can find your appointment online at

Step 5 – Paying Your Fees

Tuition and fees are due at the time of registration. A fee receipt is required to buy books at the campus bookstore. You may pay your fees in-person in the Business Office, or you may pay online at